As a chicken owner, you know it is essential to ensure that your birds are secure and safe from predators, whether at night or during the day. It’s no secret that finding the best automatic chicken door is a worthwhile investment for your coop. This will keep your birds safe and ensure that their eggs and chicks are secure.
A well-secured coop will keep potential predators like hawks, mongooses, coyotes, raccoons, and neighborhood pets from accessing and threatening your birds. An incredible automatic chicken door can simplify your schedule, and you won’t have to countercheck if your birds are safe.
Top 5 Best Automatic Chicken Door: Editor’s Pick
Luckily, numerous manufacturers offer both full range and an assortment of models for chicken coop doors. While choosing the most convenient one can be challenging, we have come up with ideal chicken doors that won’t frustrate you.
Let us check out the reviews and advantages of several chicken doors for better chicken environments.
Best Automatic Chicken Coop Door Review
Check out the best automatic chicken door opener reviews to get ideas on what should you buy in a quick time:
1. JVR Automatic Chicken Door Coop Opener Kit, Water Outdoor Timer
JVR automatic chicken coop door Opener Kit utilizes advanced technology to make it dependable in ensuring your poultry is secure day and night. The kit is easy to install and comes with an instruction manual describing how you can automate the time your coop opens or closes.
Included is a high-end timer, an essential chicken coop accessory that assures the protection of your flock. In addition, there is a 16 ON/OFF program setting, including a manual override allowing seven-day programming. You can conveniently press the button manually if you want to open or close your coop.
With this kit, you don’t have to worry about the safety of your chicken when you are on vacation or the weekend out. You will also save a lot of time opening and closing your coop daily.
The package includes the following accessories:
- 10 Screws
- 1 Controller Box
- 1 Hinged automatic chicken coop door
- 2 Slide guides
- 1 Linear Actuator
- Self locking mechanism
- 1 Power Adapter (100-240V)
- 2 Hanger kits
- 1 Manual
This kit is suitable for large-hinged doors that fit most chickens and ducks. It is available in 2 different sizes: 11 9/16 inch wide and 12 9/16 inch high.
- Risk-Free with 1 Year Free Manufacturer Support
- High quality (made from a heavy-duty aluminum alloy) jvr chicken coop door
- Larger automatic doors for keeping different items
- Easy to use – Opens in the morning and closes in the evening
- Installation is easy without complicated cabling or wiring
- Lightweight at 5.75 pounds
2. Add-A-Motor Chicken Coop Automatic Door Accessory Motor Model D20-120V
Add-A-Motor Chicken Coop Motor is a kit that allows you to automatically open and close your chicken coop door on a schedule of your choice. Simply plugging it into your lamp timer switch will safeguard your birds and eggs and save you a lot of time daily.
This best automatic chicken coop opener kit comes with a reversible motor with adjustable stop settings. The engine lets you stop the automatic door opener at open and closed positions, depending on your selection from the control panel.
You don’t need a counterweight because the motor can lift and lower the automatic chicken coop door weighing up to 10 pounds and allow openings to 25 inches. You can change it to a vertical lift if your door swings open by simply installing it inside channels.
Other accessories that come with this kit include:
- AC-DC Adapter
- Mounting hardware
- Illustrated manual
This kit allows you to set the time your coop opens and closes – and it becomes automatic after that. The D20 will open the door in the morning to allow your chickens to feed or free-range without your supervision. There is no need to panic if you arrive home late because the D20 will automatically shut the door when you have set it.
- Customizable as the heavy-duty motor adapts to your coop’s door, whether metal, wooden or plastic.
- A powerful motor that doesn’t require a counterweight
- Includes safe connector to prevent damage if the automatic chicken coop door jams or becomes frozen
- Easy to install with an instruction manual
- Lightweight at 1.15 pounds chicken coop automatic door
3. Cheeper Keeper Automatic Chicken Coop Door Opener and Closer Kit
Cheaper Keeper Automatic Chicken Coop Door Opener and Closer Kit come with additional accessories, including LED light indicators and an integrated battery pack. It includes the option to open or close the door if the need arises manually.
This weatherproof kit doesn’t require an outlet, and it runs with 4 AA batteries and doesn’t require wiring or cabling. The aluminum railed automatic door opener comes with a quiet steel geared motor which is also polished with aluminum to make it dirt-resistant. With a pull cord that can support up to 60 pounds, this kit doesn’t require a counterweight.
One feature that makes this one of the best automatic chicken coop doors is that it can automatically sense when a bird is about to enter, and it will simply pause and allow your bird to pass.
In addition, it has a triple varnished circuit board, control panel and an overload safety device that resists dirt, dust, moisture, ammonia gases, and UV. It is also lightning-proof.
This kit doesn’t require any programming. It is equipped with an adjustable light sensor that prompts opening at dawn and closing at dusk. You can manually adjust the time it opens or closes.
The instruction manual comes with a video that demonstrates how to install. It also comes with additional accessories for indoor installation or plug-in power outlets.
- Built to last with a quiet steel geared motor
- It doesn’t require programming, thanks to the light sensor
- It comes with a 100% money-back guarantee
- Ensures the safety of your chicken
- Resistant to dirt, dust, moisture, and UV
4. CHICKENGUARD ‘Extreme’ Chicken Coop Pop Door Opener Lifts to 8 lbs,
ChickenGuard is an expertly constructed and convenient chicken coop pop door that uses advanced technology to ensure the safety of your poultry. It is equipped with timers, sensors, and easy control to guarantee reliability and convenience. With an integrated LCD screen, this automatic chicken coop door opener is easy to use and dependable when it comes to the safety of your poultry flock 24 hours a day.
The high-end sensor and timer make this chicken coop door opener a must-have in safeguarding your birds. You can conveniently program when your coop door will open or close depending on the time of the year and get a chance to watch your flock enjoying their breakfast at dawn in the fresh air.
This kit is handy in saving your time and energy. You won’t have to rush out in lousy weather to lock or let out your chicken flock. Plus, you can enjoy up to six months of usage with a single battery pack of 4 AA batteries.
Installation is effortless with a video that vividly demonstrates everything, including calibration and automation features. The control settings are also elementary, and programming or changing the time is also simplified. You don’t have to be a technology guru when you can enjoy the flexibility of this kit in whichever way you want. For convenience purposes, this kit has large buttons that are easy to press with thick gloves.
- High-quality product manufactured and assembled to military standards ins the United Kingdom
- Using these swinging doors are pretty easy
- Extreme door lifting capacity of up to 8 pounds
- Low maintenance and comes with 3 years manufacturer guarantee
- Easy to install and use with an integrated fully-featured LCD screen
- It runs on 4 AA batteries and can be electrically powered via a USB cable or charger
5. Premium Automatic Chicken Coop Pop Door Opener & Door Kit Combo
Premium Automatic Chicken Coop Pop Door Opener & Door Kit Combo is a perfect tool if you are sick and tired of getting out of bed every morning to let your chickens out. The manufacturer uses the best quality materials like the oak wood blend, sensors, and timers to ensure reliability, durability, and convenience.
Its ease of installation and usage will revolutionize your past experiences with poorly crafted coop door openers that have given you enough headaches. This kit deploys an integrated LCD screen to make it dependable in ensuring that your poultry flock stays safe from dusk until dawn. You can comfortably sleep as long as you want by being one of the right automatic chicken coop doors.
This kit comes with timers and light sensors that automatically control the opening and closing of your coop. You can manually open or close your coop by simply pressing a button on this chicken coop’s automatic door.
The all-in-one design is simple to set up and doesn’t involve complicated wiring or cabling. Simply attach the Premium Automatic Chicken Coop Pop Door Opener & Door Kit Combo to your coop, connect the cord to the door, and that’s all.
This ChickenGuard automatic model has a door lifting capacity of up to 2.2 pounds and can fit most standard chicken door heights. The kit includes a highly durable cord with a breaking strain of 50 pounds.
- Easy to install and use with an integrated fully-featured LCD screen
- Door lifting capacity of up to 2.2 pounds
- Includes both Door and Runner Kit
- Laser-cut door edges for smooth opening
- +3-Year Warranty and 100% money-back guarantee
6. Chicken Guard ‘Premium’ Automatic Chicken Coop Pop Door Opener Lifts to 2 lbs
This Chicken Guard product fits perfectly well if you’ve been searching for an automatic chicken coop door with a difference. You will no longer have to step outside your house again on that cold winter night to lock your flock in the coop. The door is exceptionally designed with smart software that is suitable for outdoors and indoors.
You can calibrate at your convenience as long as the door is not heavier than 2 pounds. You should ensure at least an inch from the top of the best automatic coop door. The perfectly crafted design assures longevity, convenience, and convenience in the performance of your coop door.
The door also incorporates an integrated LCD Screen to enhance the reliability and safety of your poultry flock from dusk until dawn. The high-end timer and automatic sensor automatically prompt the opening and closing time.
Depending on the time of the year, you can manually set the time that your coop opens or closes. The manufacturer uses simplified UI and exceptional engineering technology to ensure that even anyone can easily program and change time in the opening and closing of the coop.
Added features make it the best automatic chicken door for your coop. An indicator allows you to check if the coop door is closed at a distance of 100 yards. Despite the large LCD screen, the 4 AA batteries can last you for six months. It also has an optional USB port that you can use as an external power supply.
- Easy to use with a large integrated LCD Screen
- Simple to install for any swinging doors
- An easy self-locking mechanism and safety sensor
- Door lifting capacity of up to 2 pounds
- Good for cold weather
- It runs on 4AA batteries and can be powered through a USB port
- +3-Year warranty and 100% money-back guarantee
7. Titan Incubators Chicken Coop Doors – Chicken House Pop Hole
Do you have a hen that has gone broody, and perhaps you don’t have enough time to monitor its movement in and out of the coop? Titan Incubators Chicken Coop Doors – Chicken House Pop Hole can be an ideal option to ensure that the hen and its eggs are safe and sound for the entire brooding period.
Titan Incubators comes with complete rails and is suitable for poultry and other birdhouses in your backyard. According to the manufacturer, it is specially designed to fit all birds irrespective of their sizes. It is spacious enough to accommodate bantams to most breeds, including goose, comfortably. You shouldn’t worry at all concerning the size of the door that you will select.
Setting up is very easy. Let’s assume that you have a metal door next to a Titan Incubator Door Opener. Simply attach the metal door to the string and then connect the rails to the coop. You should allow a few inches around the door to facilitate the smooth movement of the door.
If you are not using a Door Opener, make sure that you leave a few inches around the door to make sure that its movement is smooth.
- Suitable for use with Titan Incubator Door Openers
- The standard size that suits most birds
- Metal that means wooden automatic chicken coop doors won’t warp
- Coated with a special formula that allows movement in harsh weather conditions
- Assembled and manufactured in the United kingdom
8. Titan Incubators’ Automatic Chicken Door/ Automatic Chicken Coop Door Opener
The manufacturer of Titan Incubators’ Automatic Chicken Door/ Automatic Chicken Coop Door Opener With Timer – Elite claims that they have a clear understanding of ensuring your chickens are not only safe but also happy. They also know how problematic and impractical it can become in opening and close your chicken coop during unbearable weather conditions or when you want to be out for a weekend.
It is for these reasons that they are inspired to come up with the Automatic Coop Door opener. The Elite Timer model is designed to automatically open and close your chicken coop at times you select. With this door, you won’t have an excuse to return home early or rush outside your house at night to check your poultry flock. Even if you get stuck somewhere, the door will automatically shut to guarantee the safety of your birds and eggs. Mr. Fox won’t take advantage of your absence as it is one of the best chicken door openers.
You can set up your Automatic Chicken Coop Door Opener in 5 simple steps as illustrated below:
Insert the attached 4 AA batteries into the Titan Incubators automatic chicken coop door Opener
Adjust to the current time
Select the times you would like the door to close and open
Using the provided screws, connect the Door Opener to your chicken coop
Link the Door Opener cord to your chicken coop, and you are done!
- Easy to use with an integrated and fully featured LCD screen
- It saves time and gives you freedom
- Comes with a light sensor
- Setting up is simple, as illustrated above
- A high-quality product that is made to last.
- Assembled in Great Britain with weatherproof materials
- 2-Year manufacturer guarantee
9. Brinsea Product Chic Safe Premium Automatic Chicken Coop Door Opener
Keeping your chickens safe is easy with the ‘all-in-one’ Chic Safe Premium Automatic Chicken Coop Door Opener from Brinsea. The kit uses a timer and automatic sensor to open or close your chicken coop door automatically. The chic safe automatic pop hole opener uses advanced microprocessor control technology to accord you the flexibility you need while ensuring that your hens and chicks are free from predators.
The ‘all-in-one’ automatic chicken coop door opener is effortless to set up and uses credit to fully-featured display and a simple menu. The design ensures that the kit can function all day irrespective of weather, which allows you to relax in the comfort that your chickens are well protected.
The product also includes excellent features like an integrated light sensor and timer, a complete door control manual, and a failsafe mode for extra calmness and flexibility over how and when the coop door closes or opens.
You can use 4 AA batteries or a USB cable to power the automatic chicken coop door opener.
Setting up the chick safe premium pop door opener is a walk in the park. It doesn’t involve cabling or wiring. Simply attach the control box to the front of your chicken coop and fasten the lifting cord to the door. Set the time when the door opens and closes. You are done.
For extreme weather conditions, this kit comes with an option to attach a high-powered motor and military-grade electronics.
- All-in-one design with integrated light sensor and timer
- Unique failsafe mode and complete manual door control
- Can operate in temperatures ranging between 5 and 120°F
- Closed-door indicator visible 100 yards away
- Low battery life indicator
10. Brinsea Products Chick Safe Premium Automatic Chicken Coop Door
If you want to go the extra mile to ensure that your birds are safe and sound in your absence, Safe Premium Automatic Chicken Coop Door Opener and Door Kit are perhaps one of the best routes. The chick safe coop door opener and door kit better suit your needs if you cannot use your current coop door or if you already don’t have one.
To ensure resistance against corrosion, the runners and the entrance are manufactured using the best quality aluminum. The kit is light but strong enough to act as a replacement for your chicken coop that has horizontal sliding heavy doors. Also, the light sensor is good enough in any condition.
Fixing is straightforward and can suit nearly all coops to get you up and running in just a few minutes. The door has a measurement of 9 inches by 12 inches with 2 runners, and the entire exterior grade weatherproof aluminum measures 24 inches in height.
Construction is different for each coop. To ensure maximum flexibility during installation, this door kit doesn’t come with any hardware. It is also worth noting that you should drill through the aluminum to install this kit.
Check the chick safe extreme with high powered motor and military-grade electronics if you want an opener that can suit extreme weather conditions. These automatic chicken coop doors are great with some advanced features for taking care of your chicken coop and chickens. If you have some money, you can go for it.
- All-in-one design with programmable timer and light sensor – easy to install and operate
- Unique failsafe mode and complete manual door control
- Can withstand temperatures ranging from 5 to 120 degrees Fahrenheit
- It comes with a low battery indicator and door closed indicator that can be seen at a distance of 100 yards
- Exterior grade aluminum for strength and durability
11. Brinsea Products Chick Safe Extreme Automatic Chicken Coop Door Opener
Like the premium model, Chick Safe Extreme Automatic Chicken Coop Door Opener and Door Kit are packed with additional features, including an integrated light sensor and time. It is unique in that it features complete manual coop door control and a special failsafe mode that allows you to control how and when to open and close your chicken coop.
An all-in-one kit is a great option if you find it hard to use your existing coop door or if there is none in place. The runners and the door are constructed using high-quality aluminum to ensure durability and corrosion resistance. The aluminum door is one of the excellent reasons to buy these coop doors.
Though light, it is strong and can serve as an ideal replacement for your chicken coop as it comes with horizontal sliding doors and can also support heavy doors.
Installation is straightforward in minutes and can fit nearly all the standard coops. The weatherproof door is 9 inches wide, 12 inches in height, and two runners measure 24 inches in height.
This door kit doesn’t have any hardware for flexibility purposes, and installation differs depending on your coop. Please note that you will have to drill through the aluminum to install this kit.
- Military-grade electronics all-in-one design with programmable timer and light sensor – no limit switch or complicated wiring
- Complete manual coop door control plus failsafe mode
- Can operate in extreme weather conditions ranging from -20 to 120 degrees Fahrenheit
- 9 inches by 12 inches exterior grade aluminum door suitable for nearly all standard coops
- The door closed indicator visible 100 yards away
- Low battery indicator
12. Titan Incubators Automatic Chicken Door
This Elite Light Sensor and programmable timer model represents a good solution for folks who find it difficult or impractical to keep their birds safely sheltered against predators. Apart from being easy to use and install, it comes with an integrated and fully featured LCD screen, which allows you to conveniently monitor the opening of your chicken coop in the morning and closing in the evening.
If you are home late or want to stay out over the weekend, this kit will ensure that your chickens and eggs are safe and sound.
The product is designed and assembled in Great Britain using high-end grade weatherproof materials to withstand any season. The manufacturer boasts of over 90,000 users globally that are using their product to ensure the safety of their chickens.
Setting up your automatic chicken coop door opener involves 5 simple steps, which include:
- Slot in the 4 AA batteries that comes with the package into the Titan incubators Automatic Chicken Coop Door Opener
- Set the time to the current
- Good light sensor to work with
- Pick up the program you want to run
- Connect the Door Opener cord to the door of your chicken coop using the screws provided.
- Link up the Door Opener cord to the door of your chicken coop, and you are finished.
- Easy to use with the help of an integrated and fully featured LCD screen
- It gives freedom and saves your time
- Setting up is simple and easy to use
- Comes with a light sensor
- High-quality materials for strength and durability
- 2-year manufacturer guarantee for registered members
13. Auto Coop Advanced Chicken Coop Door Kit
Auto Coop Advanced Chicken Coop Door Kit is among the best automatic chicken door specially designed to fit most standard coops. Although the door is portrayed to be vertical, it can be placed horizontally as well. The kit comes with added features including:
2 anodized aluminum channel rails (24 inches long each)
Sliding door for enhanced strength
Weatherproof fiberglass with ultra-smooth edges
Power supply (12V DC)
Power cord adapter
It’s worth noting that the package doesn’t include a controller for the Advanced Kit. As a buyer, you are the one to decide on how to activate the actuator. For instance, you can use the manual switch, power relays, or programmable timer. For this device to operate the door, it must switch the polarity to the actuator to either open or close the coop door. You can search online to get ideas on how you can perform this.
- Weatherproof fiberglass
- Ideal automatic door for most chicken coops
- Power cord adapter included
- Sliding automated door for strength
- Can fit vertically or horizontally
- 1 year warranty
How to Choose the Best Automatic Chicken Coop Door: Buying Guide
According to most automatic chicken coop door reviews, there are several things you should consider before parting with some extra cash for your coop. They include:
1. Weather for automatic chicken coop door
Do you live in a place where temperatures go down below freezing point? If yes, you should ensure that the model you are planning to purchase will cope. The same applies if your area regularly experiences heavy rains — check a waterproof door.
2. Cost of Automatic Door Opener
Adequate care should be taken when buying cheap automated pop doors. Some are manufactured by shoddy companies using materials that are poor in quality. Such won’t be of any value for your hard-earned cash, and some can negatively impact your chickens.
However, this doesn’t imply that you can’t find one of the best automatic chicken doors that are relatively affordable.
3. Power Source (Solar Powered Chicken Coop Door / Normal)
Automatic chicken doors can be powered using three options: main’s electricity, solar panel, or batteries. Some models of pop door controls can use a combination of both mains electricity and batteries. You can look at the best solar chicken door types that can use batteries and electricity if one fails.
Irrespective of the one you prefer, ensure that all the wires are not exposed. Chickens enjoy pecking at everything that looks like a worm.
A solar-powered automated door is a good option if you are off-grid or environmentally conscious, and it’s even the best for folks who fear running electricity in your coop. However, solar-powered doors can be costly, and their performance can be inconsistent during cloudy weather.
Electricity is perhaps the best power source for your automatic chicken coop door if your coop is near the grid. The only drawback is when there is a power outage, and you will have to control closing or opening manually.
Most of the best automatic chicken doors come with a battery power option. Batteries take complete control when there is no electricity. You shouldn’t go for a pop door that doesn’t come with a battery power option.
4. Material and size of an Automatic Chicken Coop Door
The material from which your automatic chicken coop door is made is the main determining factor for durability. Wooden doors are relatively heavier than metal, while aluminum happens to be the lightest.
With that in mind, it’s worth going for a lightweight door with a strong motor. This will easily allow chickens to move in and outside the coop whenever they want.
If your rear has larger breeds, ensure that the doors are giant-sized. Note that more oversized doors should be suited with large motors. Don’t strain large doors with small engines, as the mechanism will collapse within a short time.
5. Working Mechanism of the automatic coop door
There are two main working mechanisms for opening and closing your chicken door: adjustable timer and light sensor.
6. Timer for an Automatic Chicken Door
This allows you to control the time you want the entering and existing door to close or open with the help of a adjustable timer. Some automatic chicken doors come with this feature as the only method for closing and opening. You can adjust the times with seasonal changes when there are day-length changes.
7. Light sensor
The amount of light determines when the door will open or close. The door opens with an increase in light and closes when darkness sets in. With this option, ensure the box is in an area where it can detect the changes in light intensity.
Some of the best chicken doors come with a combination of both programmable timer and light sensor. With such, you can choose to do with any or close and open the door manually. This sounds like a great option as it offers you more flexibility.
8. Safety of chicken coop doors
As stated earlier, all wires should be adequately covered. Rodents and potential predators like raccoons and weasels enjoy dismantling or chewing through wiring, making your chickens vulnerable to electrocution.
It’s also good to ensure that the control box with the safety sensors and other light sensors of your automatic chicken coop door is safe from reckless tampering.
An automatic door for your chicken coop is worth an investment, and the best choice depends on your needs and personal preferences. About many automatic chicken coop door reviews that we have come across, the safety of your birds is more important than the cost and time invested in their operation.
Such doors will ensure that your flock is safely locked up at night, and you won’t have to go for a headcount later. Your chickens will also have an opportunity to greet the day early in the morning without waking you up.
For any reason, you can go away from your home without leaving behind someone to take care of your chicken flock.