As a chicken owner, you know how it is essential to ensure that your birds are secure and safe from predators whether at night or during the day. It’s no secret that finding the best automatic chicken door is a worthwhile investment for your coop. This will not only keep your birds safe, but will also ensure that their eggs and chicks are secure.
A coop that is well secured will keep potential predators like hawks, mongoose, coyotes, raccoons, and neighborhood pets from accessing and threatening your birds. An incredible automatic chicken door can simplify your schedule and you won’t have to countercheck if your birds are safe.
Top 5 Best Automatic Chicken Door: Editor’s Pick
|JVR||JVR Automatic Chicken Door||Prime||Buy on Amazon|
|Top||ChickenGuard||ChickenGuard Automatic Chicken Door||Prime||Buy on Amazon|
|Add-A-Motor||Add-A-Motor Chicken Door||Prime||Buy on Amazon|
|Cheeper Keeper||Cheeper Keeper Chicken Door||Prime||Buy on Amazon|
|Brinsea Products||Brinsea Automatic Chicken Door||Prime||Buy on Amazon|
Luckily, there are numerous manufacturers that offer both full range and an assortment of models for chicken coop doors. While choosing the most convenient one can be a challenging task, we have come up with the most ideal chicken doors we can assure that won’t frustrate.
- Best Automatic Chicken Door Review:
- 1. JVR Automatic Chicken Door Coop Opener Kit, Water Outdoor Timer
- 2. Add-A-Motor Chicken Coop Automatic Door Accessory Motor Model D20-120V
- 3. Cheeper Keeper Automatic Chicken Coop Door Opener and Closer Kit
- 4. CHICKENGUARD ‘Extreme’ Chicken Coop Pop Door Opener Lifts Up to 8 lbs,
- 5. Premium Automatic Chicken Coop Pop Door Opener & Door Kit Combo
- 6. ChickenGuard ‘Premium’ Automatic Chicken Coop Pop Door Opener Lifts Up to 2 lbs
- 7. Titan Incubators Chicken Coop Doors – Chicken House Pop Hole
- 8. Titan Incubators’ Automatic Chicken Door/ Automatic Chicken Coop Door Opener
- 9. Brinsea Product Chic Safe Premium Automatic Chicken Coop Door Opener
- 10. Brinsea Products Chick Safe Premium Automatic Chicken Coop Door
- 11. Brinsea Products Chick Safe Extreme Automatic Chicken Coop Door Opener
- 12. Titan Incubators Automatic Chicken Door
- 13. AutoCoop Advanced Chicken Coop Door Kit
- Buying Guide: Things to Consider When Select Automatic Chicken Door
- Share this:
Best Automatic Chicken Door Review:
1. JVR Automatic Chicken Door Coop Opener Kit, Water Outdoor Timer
JVR Automatic Chicken Door Coop Opener Kit utilizes advanced technology to make it dependable and reliable in ensuring your poultry is secure day and night. The kit is not only easy to install, but also comes with an instruction manual describing how you can automate the time your coop opens or closes.
Included is a high-end timer, which is an essential chicken coop accessory that assures the protection of your flock. In addition, there is a 16 ON/OFF program setting including a manual override which allows programming for 7 days. You can conveniently press the button if you want to manually open or close your coop.
With this kit, you don’t have to worry about the safety of your chicken when you are on vacation or a weekend out. You will also save a lot of time in opening and closing your coop every day.
The package includes the following accessories:
- 10 Screws
- 1 Controller Box
- 2 Hanger kits
- 1 Hinged Door
- 1 Linear Actuator
- 1 Power Adapter (100-240V)
- 2 Slide guides
- 1 Manual
This kit is suitable for large-hinged door that fit most chickens and ducks. It is available in 2 different sizes: 11 9/16 inch wide and 12 9/16 inch high.
- Risk Free with 1 Year Free Manufacturer Support
- High quality (made from heavy-duty aluminum alloy)
- Easy to use – Opens in the morning and closes in the evening
- Installation is easy without complicated cabling or wiring
- Light weight at 5.75 pounds
2. Add-A-Motor Chicken Coop Automatic Door Accessory Motor Model D20-120V
Add-A-Motor Chicken Coop Motor is a kit that allows you to automatically open and close the door of your chicken coop on a time schedule of your choice. By simply plugging it into your lamp timer switch, it will safeguard your birds and eggs, and save you a lot of time on a daily basis.
This kit comes with a reversible motor that has adjustable stop settings. The motor lets you stop the door at open and closed positions depending on your selection. You don’t need counter-weight because the motor can lift and lower the door weighing up to 10 pounds and allows door openings up to 25 inches. In case your door swings open, you can change it to vertical lift by simply installing it in side-channels.
Other accessories that come with this kit include:
- AC-DC Adapter
- Mounting hardware
- Illustrated manual
This kit allows you to set the time your coop opens and closes – and it becomes automatic thereafter. The D20 will open the door in the morning to allow your chickens to feed or free-range without your supervision. There is no need to panic if you arrive home late because the D20 will automatically shut the door at the time you have set.
- Customizable as the heavy duty motor adapt to your coop’s door whether metal, wooden, or plastic.
- A powerful motor that doesn’t require counter-weight
- Includes safe connector to prevent damages if the door jams or becomes frozen
- Easy to install with an instruction manual
- Light weight at 1.15 pounds
3. Cheeper Keeper Automatic Chicken Coop Door Opener and Closer Kit
Cheeper Keeper Automatic Chicken Coop Door Opener and Closer Kit come with additional accessories including LED light indicators and integrated battery pack. It includes the option to manually open or close the door if the need arises.
This weatherproof kit doesn’t require an outlet. It runs with 4 AA batteries and doesn’t require wiring or cabling. The aluminum railed door comes with a quiet steel geared motor which is also polished with aluminum to make it dirt-resistant. With a pull cord that can support up to 60 pounds, this kit doesn’t require counter-weight.
One feature that makes this one of the best automatic chicken coop door is that it can automatically sense when a bird is about to enter. It will simply pause and allow your bird to pass.
In addition, it has a triple varnished circuit board as well as an overload safety device that resists dirt, dust, moisture, ammonia gases, and UV. It is also lightning proof.
This kit doesn’t require any programming. It is equipped with an adjustable light sensor that prompts opening at dawn and closing at dusk. You can manually adjust the time it opens or closes.
The instruction manual comes with a video that clearly demonstrate how to install. It also comes with additional accessories for indoor installation or plug in power outlet.
- Built to last with a quiet steel geared motor
- It doesn’t require programming, thanks to the light sensor
- Comes with 100% money back guarantee
- Ensures the safety of your chicken
- Resistant to dirt, dust, moisture, and UV
4. CHICKENGUARD ‘Extreme’ Chicken Coop Pop Door Opener Lifts Up to 8 lbs,
ChickenGuard is an expertly constructed and convenient chicken coop pop door that uses advanced technology to ensure the safety of your poultry. It is equipped with timers, sensors and easy control to ensure reliability and convenience. With an integrated LCD screen, this door opener is easy to use and dependable when it comes to the safety of your poultry flock 24 hours a day.
The high-end sensor and timer makes this chicken coop door opener a must-have in safeguarding your birds. You can conveniently program when your coop door will open or close depending on the time of the year and get a chance to watch your flock enjoying their breakfast at dawn in fresh air.
This kit is extremely useful in saving your time and energy. You won’t have to rush out in bad weather to lock or let out your chicken flock. Plus, you can enjoy up to six months of usage with a single battery pack of 4 AA batteries.
Installation is very easy with a video that vividly demonstrate everything including calibration and automation features. The control settings are also very simple. Programming or changing the time is also simplified. You don’t have to be a technology guru when you can enjoy flexibility of this kit in whichever way you want. For convenience purposes, this kit has large buttons that are easy to press with thick gloves.
- High quality product manufactured and assembled to military standards ins United Kingdom
- Extreme door lifting capacity of up to 8 pounds
- Low maintenance and comes with 3 years manufacturer guarantee
- Easy to install and use with an integrated fully featured LCD screen
- Runs on 4 AA batteries and can be electrically powered via a USB cable or charger
5. Premium Automatic Chicken Coop Pop Door Opener & Door Kit Combo
Premium Automatic Chicken Coop Pop Door Opener & Door Kit Combo is a perfect tool if you are sick and tired of getting out of bed every morning to let your chickens out. The manufacturer uses the best quality materials like the oak wood blend, sensors and timers to ensure reliability, durability, and convenience.
Its ease in installation and usage will revolutionize your past experiences with poorly crafted coop door openers that have given you enough headaches. This kit deploys an integrated LCD screen to make it highly dependable and reliable in ensuring that your poultry flock stays safe from dusk until dawn. By being one of the best chicken coop doors, you can comfortably sleep as long as you want.
This kit comes with timers and light sensors that automatically control the opening and closing of your coop. You can also manually open or close your coop by simply pressing a button.
The all-in-one design is simple to setup. It doesn’t involve complicated wiring or cabling. Simply attach the Premium Automatic Chicken Coop Pop Door Opener & Door Kit Combo to your coop, connect the cord to the door and that’s all.
This ChickenGuard automatic model comes with a door lifting capacity of up to 2.2 pounds and can fit most standard chicken door heights. The kit includes a highly durable cord with a breaking strain of 50 pounds.
- Easy to install and use with an integrated fully featured LCD screen
- Door lifting capacity of up to 2.2 pounds
- Includes both Door and Runner Kit
- Laser cut door edges for smooth opening
- +3-Year Warranty and 100% money back guarantee
6. ChickenGuard ‘Premium’ Automatic Chicken Coop Pop Door Opener Lifts Up to 2 lbs
This ChickenGuard product fit perfectly well if you’ve been searching for an automatic chicken coop door with a difference. You will no longer have to step outside your house again on that cold winter night to lock your flock in the coop. The door is exceptionally designed with smart software that is suitable for outdoors and indoors.
You can calibrate at your own convenience as long as the door is not heavier than 2 pounds. You should ensure that there is at least an inch from the top of the coop door. The perfectly crafted design not only assures longevity and convenience, but also convenience in the performance of your coop door.
The door also incorporates an integrated LCD Screen to enhance reliability and safety of your poultry flock from dusk until dawn. The high-end timer and sensor automatically prompts the opening and closing time. Depending on the time of the year, you can manually set the time that your coop opens or closes. The manufacturer uses simplified UI and exceptional engineering technology to ensure that even anyone can easily program and change time in opening and closing of the coop.
There are added features that make it the best automatic chicken door for your coop. There is an indicator that allows you to check if the coop door is closed at a distance of 100 yards. Despite the large LCD screen, the 4 AA batteries can last you for six months. It also comes with an optional USB port that you can use as an external power supply.
- Easy to use with a large integrated LCD Screen
- Simple to install
- Door lifting capacity of up to 2 pounds
- Runs on 4AA batteries and can be powered through a USB port
- +3-Year warranty and 100% money back guarantee
7. Titan Incubators Chicken Coop Doors – Chicken House Pop Hole
Do you have a hen that has gone broody and perhaps you don’t have enough time to monitor its movement in and out of the coop? Titan Incubators Chicken Coop Doors – Chicken House Pop Hole can be an ideal option that will ensure that the hen and its eggs are safe and sound for the entire brooding period.
Titan Incubators’ comes with complete rails and is suitable for poultry and other bird houses in your backyard. According to the manufacturer, it is specially designed with the aim of fitting all birds irrespective of their sizes. It is spacious enough to comfortably accommodate bantams to most breeds, including goose. You shouldn’t worry at all in respect to the size of the door that you will select.
Setting up is very easy. Let’s assume that you have a metal door next to a Titan Incubator Door Opener. Simply attach the metal door to the string and then connect the rails to the coop. You should allow a few inches around the door to facilitate the smooth movement of the door.
If you are not using a Door Opener, make sure that you leave a few inches around the door to make sure that its movement is smooth.
- Suitable for use with Titan Incubator Door Openers
- Standard size that suits most birds
- Metal that means wooden doors won’t warp
- Coated with a special formula that allows movement in harsh weather conditions
- Assembled and manufactured in the United kingdom
8. Titan Incubators’ Automatic Chicken Door/ Automatic Chicken Coop Door Opener
The manufacturer of Titan Incubators’ Automatic Chicken Door/ Automatic Chicken Coop Door Opener With Timer – Elite claims that they have a clear understanding of ensuring your chickens are not only safe, but also happy. They also know how problematic and impractical it can become in opening and closing of your chicken coop during the unbearable weather conditions or when you want to be out for a weekend.
It is for these reasons that they are inspired to come up with the Automatic Coop Door opener. The Elite Timer model is designed to automatically open and close your chicken coop at times you select. With this door, you won’t have an excuse to return home early or rush outside of your house at night to check your poultry flock. Even if you get stuck somewhere, the door will automatically shut to guarantee the safety of your birds and eggs. Mr. Fox won’t take the advantage of your absence as it is one of the best chicken door opener.
You can set up your Automatic Chicken Coop Door Opener in 5 simple steps as illustrated below:
- Insert the attached 4 AA batteries into the Titan Incubators Automatic Chicken Door Opener
- Adjust to the current time
- Select the times you would like the door to close and open
- Using the provided screws, connect the Door Opener to your chicken coop
- Link the Door Opener cord to your chicken coop, and you are done!
- Easy to use with an integrated and fully featured LCD screen
- Saves times and gives you freedom
- Setting up is simple as illustrated above
- High quality product that is made to last. Assembled in Great Britain with weatherproof materials
- 2-Year manufacturer guarantee
9. Brinsea Product Chic Safe Premium Automatic Chicken Coop Door Opener
Keeping your chickens safe is easy with the ‘all-in-one’ Chic Safe Premium Automatic Chicken Coop Door Opener from Brinsea. The kit uses timer and light sensor to automatically open or close your chicken coop door. The chic safe automatic pop hole opener uses advanced microprocessor control technology to accord you the flexibility you need while ensuring that your hens and chicks are free from predators.
The ‘all-in-one’ automatic chicken coop door opener is very simple to set up and use credit to fully featured display and a simple menu. The design ensures that the kit can function all day irrespective of weather, which allows you to relax in the comfort that your chickens are well protected.
The product also includes great features like an integrated light sensor and timer, full door control manual, and failsafe mode for extra calmness and flexibility over how and when the coop door closes or opens.
You can use 4 AA batteries or USB cable to power the automatic chicken coop door opener.
Setting up the chick safe premium pop door opener is a walk in the park. It doesn’t involve cabling or wiring. Simply attach the control box to the front of your chicken coop and fasten the lifting cord to the door. Set the time when the door opens and closes. You are done.
For extreme weather conditions, this kit comes with an option to attach high powered motor and military grade electronics.
- All-in-one design with integrated light sensor and timer
- Unique failsafe mode and full manual door control
- Can operate in temperatures ranging between 5 and 120°F
- Closed door indicator visible 100 yards away
- Low battery indicator
10. Brinsea Products Chick Safe Premium Automatic Chicken Coop Door
If you want to go an extra mile in ensuring that your birds are safe and sound in your absence, Safe Premium Automatic Chicken Coop Door Opener and Door Kit is perhaps one of the best routes. The chick safe coop door opener and door kit better suits your needs if you are unable to use your current coop door or if you already don’t have one. To ensure resistance against corrosion, the runners and the door are manufactured using the best quality aluminum. The kit is light but strong enough to act as replacement for your chicken coop that has horizontal sliding heavy doors.
Fixing is very easy and can suit nearly all coops to get you up and running in just a few minutes. The door has a measurement of 9 inches by 12 inches with 2 runners. The full exterior grade weatherproof aluminum measures 24 inches in height.
Construction is different for each coop. To ensure maximum flexibility during installation, this door kit doesn’t come with any hardware. It is also worth noting that you should drill through aluminum in order to install this kit.
Check the chick safe extreme with high powered motor and military grade electronics if you want an opener that can suit extreme weather conditions.
- All-in-one design with timer and light sensor – easy to install and operate
- Unique failsafe mode and full manual door control
- Can withstand temperatures ranging from 5 to 120 degrees Fahrenheit
- Comes with a low batter indicator and door closed indicator that can be seen at a distance of 100 yards
- Exterior grade aluminum for strength and durability
11. Brinsea Products Chick Safe Extreme Automatic Chicken Coop Door Opener
Just like the premium model, Chick Safe Extreme Automatic Chicken Coop Door Opener and Door Kit is packed with additional features including an integrated light sensor and time. It is unique in that it features full manual door control and a unique failsafe mode that allows you to control how and when to open and close your chicken coop.
The all-in-one kit is a great option if you find it hard to use your existing coop door or if there is none in place. The runners and the door are constructed using high quality aluminum to ensure durability and corrosion resistance. Though light, it is strong and can serve as an ideal replacement for your chicken coop as it comes with horizontal sliding doors and can also support heavy doors.
Installation is very simple in minutes and can fit nearly all the standard coops. The weatherproof door is 9 inches wide and 12 inches in height. There are two runners that measure 24 inches in height.
This door kit doesn’t come with any hardware for flexibility purposes and installation is different depending on your coop. Please note that you will have to drill through aluminum in order to install this kit.
- Military grade electronics all-in-one design with timer and sensor – no limit switch or complicated wiring
- Full manual door control plus failsafe mode
- Can operate in extreme weather conditions ranging from -20 to 120 degrees Fahrenheit
- 9 inches by 12 inches exterior grade aluminum door suitable for nearly all standard coops
- Door closed indicator visible 100 yards away
- Low battery indicator
12. Titan Incubators Automatic Chicken Door
This Elite Light Sensor and Timer model represents a good solution for folks who find it difficult or impractical to keep their birds safely sheltered against predators. Apart from being easy to use and install, it comes with an integrated and fully featured LCD screen which allows you to conveniently monitor the opening of your chicken coop in the morning and closing in the evening.
In the event you are home late or want to stay out over the weekend, this kit will ensure that your chickens and eggs are safe and sound.
The product is designed and assembled in Great Britain using high-end grade weatherproof materials that can withstand any season. The manufacturer boasts of over 90,000 users globally that are using their product to ensure the safety of their chickens.
Setting up your automatic chicken coop door opener involves 5 simple steps which include:
- Slot in the 4 AA batteries that comes with the package into the Titan incubators Automatic Chicken Coop Door Opener
- Set the time to the current
- Pick up the program you want to run
- Connect the Door Opener cord to the door of your chicken coop using the screws provided.
- Link up the Door Opener cord to the door of your chicken coop, and you are finished.
- Easy to use with the help of an integrated and fully featured LCD screen
- Gives freedom and saves your time
- Setting up is simple and easy to use
- High-quality materials for strength and durability
- 2-year manufacturer guarantee for registered members
13. AutoCoop Advanced Chicken Coop Door Kit
AutoCoop Advanced Chicken Coop Door Kit is among the best automatic chicken door that is specially designed to fit most standard coops. Although the door is portrayed to be vertical, it can be placed horizontally as well. The kit comes with added features including:
- 2 anodized aluminum channel rails (24 inches long each)
- Sliding door for enhanced strength
- Weatherproof fiberglass with ultra-smooth edges
- Linear actuator
- Mounting hardware
- Power supply (12V DC)
- Power cord adapter
It’s worth noting that the package doesn’t include a controller for the Advanced Kit. As a buyer, you are the one to decide on how to activate the actuator. For instance, you can use the manual switch, power relays, or timers. For this device to operate the door, it must be able to switch the polarity to the actuator to either open or close the door. You can search online to get ideas on how you can perform this.
- Weatherproof fiberglass
- Ideal automatic door for most chicken coops
- Power cord adapter included
- Sliding door for strength
- Can fit vertically or horizontally
- 1 year warranty
Buying Guide: Things to Consider When Select Automatic Chicken Door
According to most automatic chicken door reviews, there are several things you should consider prior to parting with some extra cash for your coop. They include:
Do you live in a place where temperatures go down below freezing point? If yes, you should ensure that the model you are planning to purchase will be able to cope. The same applies if your area regularly experiences heavy rains — check a door that is waterproof.
Adequate care should be taken when buying cheap automated pop doors. Some are manufactured by shoddy companies using materials that are poor in quality. Such won’t be of any value for your hard-earned cash. As a matter of fact, some can have detrimental impacts on your chickens. However, this doesn’t imply that you can’t find one of the best automatic chicken doors that is relatively affordable.
- Power source
Automatic chicken doors can be powered using three different options: main’s electricity, solar panel, or batteries. Some models of pop door’s controls can use a combination of both mains electricity and batteries. You can look the best solar chicken door types that can also use batteries and electricity in case one fails.
Irrespective of the one you prefer, ensure that all the wires are not exposed. Chickens enjoy pecking at everything that looks like a worm.
A solar-powered chicken door is a good option if you are off-grid or environment conscious. It’s even the best for folks who fear running electricity in your coop. However, solar-powered products can be costly. Plus, their performance can be inconsistent during cloudy weather.
If your coop is near the grid, electricity is perhaps the best power source for your automatic chicken door. The only drawback is when there is a power outage, and you will have to manually control closing or opening.
Most of the best automatic chicken doors come with a battery power option. Batteries take control when there is no electricity. In fact, you shouldn’t go for a pop door that doesn’t come with a battery power option
- Material and size
The material from which your door is made is the main determining factor when it comes to durability. Wooden doors are quite heavier than metal while aluminum happens to be the lightest. With that in mind, it’s worth going for a door that is lightweight with a strong motor. This will easily allow chicken to move in an outside the coop whenever they want.
If your rear larger breeds, ensure that the doors are large sized. Note that larger doors should be suited with large motors. Don’t strain large doors with small motors as the mechanism will collapse within a short time.
- Working Mechanism
There are two main working mechanisms for opening and closing your chicken door: timer and light sensor.
This allows you to control the time you want the door to close or open with the help of a timer. Some automatic chicken doors come with this feature as the only method for closing and opening. You can adjust the times with seasonal changes when there day-length changes.
- Light sensor
The amount of light determines when the door will open or close. The door opens when there is an increase in the amount of light and closes when darkness sets in. With this option, ensure the box is in an area where it can detect the changes in light intensity.
Some of the best chicken doors come with a combination of both timer and light sensor. With such, you can choose to do with any or close and open the door manually. This sounds a great option as it offers you more flexibility.
As stated earlier, all wires should be properly covered. Rodents and potential predators like raccoons and the weasels enjoy dismantling or chewing through wiring, which can make your chickens vulnerable to electrocution. It’s also good to ensure that the control box of your automatic chicken door is safe from reckless tampering.
An automatic door for your chicken coop is a worth investment and the best choice depends on your needs and personal preferences. In reference to many automatic chicken door reviews that we have come across, the safety of your birds is more important than the cost and time invested in their operation.
Such doors will always ensure that your flock is safely locked up at night, and you won’t have to go for a headcount later. Your chickens will also have an opportunity to greet the day early in the morning without necessarily waking you up.
For any reason, you can go away from your home without leaving behind someone to take care of your chicken flock.