The Vorwerk chicken is a type of poultry farmer with a medium size that is durable, rounded rectangular, at the back is quite more profound than the tall one and with a thin frame, but with fleshy thighs. Its chest is vast, its body of medium length and its plumage is glued to its body. The original drawing of the breed is identical for roosters and chickens.
German Vorwerk Chicken History
Unlike most Vorwerk chicken breeds, it is named after its creator Oscar Vorwerk, a wealthy merchant from the Hamburg area Orthmarsc chicken who also visits the cultural circles of the rich Hamburg, was a whim to have a bird farm Poultry at the forefront of early 20th century breeding techniques.
Oscar Vorwerk decided to create a new breed that would take on the characteristics of the Lakenvelder but leaving the target in its plumage on the lower side. He consulted the manager of his farm, a man named Otto Seeger, and well-known breeders in Germany in the 20th century. A specification was established with the axis: Type, Productivity and Originality.
In the spring of 1902, the real work began with selection as an option for drawing, the Ramelsloher lakenvelder for strength and character, and the new generation of the Orpington Fauve times of nesting qualities and mass winter.
I also recommend you see: Best Chickens Waterers , Roosters and Chickens.
When he died in 1933, a black year for Germany, he left his chickens to all the breeders he knew, and the race survived, and that was the plan. The breed will have a parallel destiny to the dark years of the reign of the Nazis in Germany, which will lead to its virtual extinction after 1945. The breeders of Silesia were expelled, and the western part of Germany lacked food.
In the United States, only the dwarf breed created in situ by the Americans in the 1930s will be recognized by the American Poultry Association as the Golden Lakenvelder first and then as the Vorwerk chicken. Austrians very active in the breed have even created a blue variety but not recognized outside the country.
Characteristics of the Vorwerk Chickens
It is a medium-sized farm bird that is vigorous, not stealthy, rounded rectangular, with a rather deep but tall habit and with a fine bone structure but with fleshy thighs. Its chest is wide, its body of medium length and its plumage is attached to its body. The original drawing of the breed is identical for roosters and chickens.
Characteristics of the Race According to the Standards
- Crest: Simple on the rooster
- Mumps: white, red face with light down
- Eye Color: red-orange iris
- Peak: medium length, blue-grey Horn
- Neck: medium height, with abundant bristly hair, medium length, full, slightly inclined
- The pectoral: wide, well rounded, deep
- Wide, full abdomen
- Wings: short of tight properties, worn high
- Tail: medium height, slightly open, arched sickles, mid-high range
- Thighs: Tarsocarnoso and slightly striking, medium size, slender and smooth, slate blue
- Plumage: Attached to the body, soft and rounded feathers, without volume
- Ideal Rooster Weight: 2.5 to 3 kg
- Chicken Weight: 2 to 2.5 kg
- Eggs for hatching: minimum 55 grams, yellowish shell
- Ideal rooster weight: 900 grams
- Chicken weight: 700 games
- Eggs for hatching: minimum 35 grams, white cream shell.
- The Vorwerk chicken is very pleasant to live and is easy to raise, so it is very suitable for the novice amateur breeder.
- He has a friendly character, he is less familiar than a redhead, but he is not too shy.
- If you are trying to interact with them, do not be surprised if it lands on your hands.
- She is alive and vigorous. She appreciates large spaces but knows how to adapt to enclosures.
- She is a good thief too, so plan high fences.
- chicken Vorwerk is friendly with other chickens, the rooster is a rooster, so we are never sure, but they have a reputation for living well with their partners.
Let’s Talk About Your Eggs
The Vorwerk chicken lays 55 grams of white eggs at a constant rate for purebred approximately 170 to 190 eggs per year. She inherited Orpington’s good qualities from the winter laying hen.
It is a pure breed that eats little compared to other pure races. It is worth noting. She is a medium baby, a natural baby one year is enough for him and is a suitable mother, fortunately for her chicks proliferate and are quickly autonomous.